Russia has more possible opening moves than any other power. In order to produce a rationalised system for naming Russian openings, Richard Sharp introduced the following plan:
- F StP/sc H openings are known as the Northern Houseboat Opening.
- F StP/sc-Lvn is known as the Kronstadt Opening.
- F StP/sc-Fin is known as the Lapland Lurch, but otherwise considered (for the purpose of naming openings) as equivalent to a move to the Gulf of Bothnia. These openings are named after the order of A Moscow. There are therefore six systems for openings involving F StP/sc-BOT or F StP/sc-Fin:
- The Inertia System (A Mos H)
- The Livonia System (A Mos-Lvn)
- The Northern System (A Mos-StP)
- The Southern System (A Mos-Sev)
- The Ukraine System (A Mos-Ukr)
- The Warsaw System (A Mos-War)